Church of the Transfiguration (Community of Jesus)
- Places of Worship
- Book Stores
- Activities & Attractions
We welcome you to the Community of Jesus, an ecumenical Christian community in the Benedictine monastic tradition. Join us for worship at the Church of the Transfiguration, for the Daily Offices sung in Gregorian chant, for weekday or Sunday Eucharist, or for a time of private prayer and reflection. Docent led tours about the art and architecture are available every day except Wednesday. Our mission is to be a faithful witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ, and by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, to glorify God through worship, the common life, and the creative arts.
CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION
Did you know…
The church tells the Biblical story of salvation in mosaics, frescos, bronze, glass, carved limestone and icons stretching from Genesis to Revelation, the beginning of time through the fullness of time.
• The church is built of true masonry walls (without internal frame)
• All of the art in the nave is part of the building itself. Artists from France, Germany, Italy, Monaco, Ireland and the United States dedicated their vision and gifts to the project.
• The art program in the atrium of the church depicts the story of Creation from Genesis to Revelations.
• The Floor mosaic is one of the largest installations of Byzantine mosaic church art in North America, all hand-crafted. The processional path is comprised of over 1600 sq. ft. of mosaic, fabricated in natural stone, telling the story of the Christian pilgrimage
• It is one of the largest installations of hand-painted buon fresco murals in North America, over 3,000 sq. ft.
Take the Mid-cape Highway (Route 6) to exit 12, turn right off the ramp into Orleans center. Turn left onto Main Street, and then left again when you reach Rock Harbor, and left into parking lot.