French Cable Station Museum
- Activities & Attractions
A museum for the marine telegraph operation from France to the United States. The station stopped operating in 1959. The property , building, and equipment were purchased by 10 prominent citizens of Orleans. It opened as a museum on 1972.
At one time the station was the US termination point for a marine telegraph line direct from France. The actual equipment used is still in place and some can be demonstrated.
Free guided tours are available of an historic collection of original Atlantic undersea telegraphic cables, instruments, maps, and assorted memorabilia. Donations are welcome to help defray the cost of operation.